Sunday, August 06, 2006

Love in the 21st Century or How to Survive Long Distance Dating

Yes, I am dating long distance...really long distance (try 1,400 miles). It's going great so I wanted to compile a list of things that I think really helps keep things going. This is a random list and I'll probably add to it, but it's a start. I'd love to hear other ideas if you have any.
  1. Communicate communicate communicate…say what you mean and mean what you say!
  2. Get on the same phone plan or get your partner a cell phone and put her or him on the family plan so you can talk for free anytime. There's nothing worse than not being able to talk because of outrageous overage fees.
  3. Get a decent computer and web cam and install Skype on your computer. You can talk phone-style with or without real-time video and/or chat with anyone else that has Skype at any time of day for free. It’s the next step in IM…
  4. Always have a visit planned…gives you something to look forward to.
  5. Send snail mail…everyone likes to get some thing they can open and hold in their hands. Cards are great surprises.
  6. Send regular email…everyone loves to know their partner is thinking of them. Also, chronicle your day. The person that loves you really does want to hear how your day went and all the details.
  7. Send video email with your web cam. Logitech has some great software for this.
  8. Try a movie date. I recently tried this. We each ordered the same film from Netflix (boy everyone's getting their plug here...I should charge for this!) and agreed to video chat through the movie. It worked really well until the network started getting busy on a Saturday night. While it worked it was a lot like getting to hang out in person.

Okay, that's as far as I got...I'll keep working on this but leave me a comment with your ideas, okay???

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home